Berger Picard for Sale
No results for your search.
About Berger Picard
The Berger Picard is a purebred dog from France, in the area of Picard. They tended sheep to livestock for centuries, and based on art on tapestries and woodcuts, it has been around since medieval times. Genetically, it is related to the German Shepherd and the Bergamasco Sheepdog. Today, the breed is relatively rare, owing to the first and second world wars. As such, it was relatively unheard of until it was featured in the film “Because of Winn-Dixie” where it stole hearts with its fluffy appearance and down-to-earth nature. It is also known as the Picardy shepherd and or the Picard.
The appearance of The Picardy
Medium to large
Muscled bodies and longer than they are tall
Straight triangular ears and pointed muzzle
Slightly long tail that curves in a J pattern
Known for their smile
Medium-sized and oval shaped
Hazel or dark brown eyes
2 to 10 puppies and an average of 6.
50 to 70 pounds
Males are 24 to 26 inches
Females are 22 to 24 inches
Thick waterproof coat with coarse hair
Fur 2 to 2.4 inches thick
Fawn, brindle, black, gray, brown
12 to 14 years
The Picard’s Temperament
Before searching “Berger Picard puppies for sale USA” and investing in a dog, you may want to know about their personality And if it compliments you and your lifestyle. You can expect the Picard to be:
- Lively - they have high levels of energy and need stimulation to thrive.
- Intelligent - Picards are known to be problem solvers and good at taking instruction.
- Versatile - these dogs can thrive in the suburb, farms, and city as long as they get enough exercise.
- Sensitive - these pups do not respond well to a harsh tone or words and do better with kind words and treats to reward their good behavior.
- Low maintenance - this dog does not grow a thick coat or shed excessively. Hence you can save money on grooming by purchasing one.
- Picky eaters - some Picards are known to be selective of certain foods and may sort their food or hide it for later consumption. In such cases, be sure to feed them separately as cats, in particular, take it as an invitation to share.
- Eager to please - this breed wants to impress their owner and will quickly learn from their human.
- Enjoy companionship - this breed needs to feel like part of the pack so they need to spend time with their family, not in a cage.
- Loud - this pup frequently barks since they are a guard dog and will do so unless instructed otherwise.
- Good natured-these dogs are sweet to children and curious about guests, and rarely ever express anger towards them.
A similar dog that could get along with this breed is the Bedlington terrier. You could consider this in addition to seeking “Berger Picard puppies for sale USA.”
How To Care For A Berger Picard
When you bring your dog home, you will have to be responsible for them, and this section will offer details on how to do it.
1. Diet: The Right Foods
The right Berger Picard diet contains foods like:
- Meat, e.g., beef, lamb, chicken, fish, turkey, goat, etc.
- Bone broth
- Quality vet-approved kibble
- Dark leafy greens e. g kale and spinach
- Chia seeds
- Fruits, e.g., watermelon, banana, blueberries, apples, pineapple, cantaloupe, and others
The amount and type of feed may depend on age, medical factors, and more, which your vet will advise on. If you have other foods available that are not listed, ask your vet if they are safe for your dog before seeking out a Berger Picard puppy for sale.
2. Proper Exercise For The Picard
Since they are bred to hunt and herd in the fields, this dog breed is athletic and has plenty of energy, which should be channeled into exercise to reduce unpleasant behaviors. You should dedicate around two hours daily to exercise your dog.
A long walk helps, but you can also diversify this with runs, hikes, play, and swimming. Obedience classes can also keep them fit and promote desirable behavior.
If you are able to keep up with another pet, consider the Australian kelpie, which is also a herding dog and hence has similar exercise needs. Aside from providing berger picard mix for sale, we also have listings for the kelpie.
3. Grooming Your Picard
You’ll be pleased to know that this breed has no doggy odor, hence can go long without baths. Their fur is also relatively short and only needs brushing once or twice a month and daily in shedding season. For this, you can use a slicker, pin, or bristle brush.
Your pup may react negatively to:
- Dust Mites
- Flea saliva
- Certain medication
- Some household cleaners
These allergies may manifest in the form of sneezing, coughing, nasal congestion, postnasal drip, itching, and many other behaviors that you can describe as uncharacteristic of your pet.
5. Berger Picard Potential Health Issues
Your puppy may be at risk of illnesses like:
- Progressive retinal atrophy
- Hip and elbow dysplasia
- Canine influenza
- Kennel cough
These can all shorten your pet's lifespan, so vaccines are necessary to consider for anyone looking for a Berger Picard puppy for sale. Vaccines are provided from puppyhood. They include those provided for distemper, rabies, parvovirus, parainfluenza, adenovirus, bordetella bronchispetica, and others.
Where To Find Berger Picard Dogs For Sale
If you have searched for “berger picard puppies for sale near me” or “berger picard mix for sale”, you may have realized that they are not common. There are only a few thousand in their native homeland of France, but we have gathered a group of select breeders and donors to help you find your next pet. We have a variety of verified listings you can look through once you log in, so be sure to check with us.
Pros and Cons
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the price of a Berger Picard?
The price of a Berger Picard puppy is $2000 to $2500 while an adult is around the same range but may go up for up to $3000.
2. What accessories will my dog love?
You can buy them a harness, a properly-sized dog collar, a comfy bed, a ball launcher, a bed warmer, a paw cleaner, or any other items that may catch your fancy.
3. Why is my dog panting?
Dogs do not have sweat glands like humans do so they pant to help them cool down. If it becomes excessive, try to cool them down by taking them to a cool area or providing water.
4. Why does my dog walk around in circles before lying down?
This behavior is based on instinct since in the past they had to flatten the bushes and make some space to sleep as well as drive animals like snakes away. It also spreads its scent, marking the area as its own.
5. How do I get my dog to take their medicine?
You may mix it in some canned food, wrap it in some cheese or meat, use a pill dropper, or opt for treat tablets. However, some dogs have no problem taking medication, so do the tips mentioned only if your pup is unwilling.
6. What are the main things to consider when training a dog?
In A Nutshell
In short, the Berger Picard is a purebred dog from France, known for its skills in herding and cute smile. The dog has a coarse and short coat, making it low maintenance. They are also very lively and often exhibit traits like their intelligence and good nature, which makes them good companions. If this interests you, and you have been searching for “Berger Picard puppies for sale near me” or a more general “Berger Picard for sale” check out our site today.