Bloodhound for Sale
No results for your search.
Bloodhound dogs are very famous for their sense ability. They have an extraordinary sense of smell that can identify humans from a distance. This sense of smell and tracking instincts help police and law enforcement departments. Thus, Bloodhounds can help track escaped prisoners, lost people, and pets.
Bloodhounds are gentle dogs and very focused when following a scent. They socialize well with pets and children, thus making them great family pets. You can consider Bloodhound as a loving, loyal, and gentle pet. At the top of this page, we have Bloodhounds for sale near me ads; check them out and place your order.
Origin and History of Bloodhounds
Bloodhounds are thought to have originated in Belgium and were bred by Saint Hubert monks. Monks mainly used them to track criminals and missing persons. This breed was produced in Europe, and it became very popular.
Bloodhounds were later introduced in the United States in 1800. The army used them in the US during the civil war to track criminals. Even today, Bloodhounds are still used by rescue teams and police. Also, their gentleness, loyalty, and loving nature make them great pets.
What’s the General Overview of Bloodhound?
- Large – dogs are big, weighing 85-115 ponds
- Height – 23-27 inches
- Lifespan – 10-12 years
- Coat colors – black, red, light brown, and chocolate. Color patterns can be black and tan or bicolor.
- Ability – Bloodhounds have a great sense of smell, that's why they help in tracking
- Gentle – they aren't aggressive and can socialize with any person, even strangers.
- Loyal – they are devoted to serving their owners no matter what
- Droolers – they drool a lot naturally, just like Bulldog
- Shedders – Bloodhounds shed a lot, thus require frequent brushing
- Temperament – patient, intelligent, trainable, loyal, and affectionate
- Other traits – strong loyalties, a tendency to chew, good hiking companion
- Wrinkled face – makes them look funny
- Long, floppy ears – help them in gathering scent
Caring for Bloodhound
Bloodhounds are large dogs and require a high level of attention for their needs as follows:
Bloodhounds require at least 2 hours of exercise per day. The exercise activities range from running, walking, playing fetch, or hiking. Sometimes these dogs are carried away by their sensing ability when exercising; for their safety, ensure you keep them in a fenced yard. Another fun game for this dog is hide-and-seek to work on its nose. To be safe, it's best always to have an identity on your dog or ensure it's microchipped.
Bloodhounds need regular grooming due to the deep wrinkles on their face, neck, and ears. You should clean your dog with a damp cloth and dry them thoroughly. Again, remember to clean the folds around the mouth after every meal.
They also have dense coats that shed regularly. Thus, you should brush them weekly to remove tangles. You should also bathe them with appropriate shampoo once a few weeks.
Other delicate areas that need grooming are the ears, teeth, and nails. Clean the Bloodhound's long floppy ears regularly to prevent the accumulation of wax and bacteria. Use a clean cotton pad and dog’s ear cleaning solution. Remember to brush your teeth and also trim your nails.
Bloodhounds require a high-quality diet to sustain their body needs. Depending on their age, Bloodhounds can consume 4-8 cups of feeds daily. Remember that you should serve your dog with sampler meals to prevent bloating.
As a large dog, it can easily gain weight which can cause heart disease and diabetes. Ensure you monitor their weight gain by following a proper diet, reducing food portions, and exercising.
Always start with the obedience classes in the puppy stage to ensure your dog responds positively. Be patient and consistent in training, and always reward your dog when it performs well. Also, training them on chewing behavior to prevent damage to items at home and provide the chew toys.
This chewing behavior is typical in several breeds; if not observed, it can cause massive destruction. Find out additional tips that you can use to control the chewing habit in this article.
Bloodhounds are affected by issues such as dysplasia and bloat. Take care of your pet and always have frequent veterinarian checkups. If you suspect your dog is sick, provide immediate medication. Prevent discoloration in the eyes and excessive itching, which can cause infections.
Always monitor your dog for the following:
- Hip dysplasia
- Eye problems- cataracts, glaucoma, retinal atrophy
- Elbow dysplasia
Some of these illnesses are life-threatening, like bloat, and it's always best to seek immediate veterinary treatment. You also follow feeding practices that prevent bloating, like offering several small food portions instead of one large meal, as this increases the chances of bloating. Just like Bloodhound, Boxer is a large breed that suffers from bloating.
What is the Price of Bloodhound?
Bloodhound dog price is cheaper than puppies and costs around $600- $1200. However, the price depends on location, breed quality, and the breeder. Some Bloodhound dogs may cost higher than the range. Bloodhound puppies' price ranges from $1400- $5500, with pure breeds being expensive.
That’s the Bloodhound price; you can always check out our best offers on this page by previewing Bloodhound puppy for sale near me ads.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Bloodhounds
- Loyal – these dogs are always dedicated and affectionate to their owners.
- Social with children - they become good friends with kids and make great playmates. Again, Bloodhounds are also very social with other pets, although they may be aggressive towards dogs of the same sex.
- Easy to train – it's easy to train Bloodhounds, so ensure you are gentle on them.
- Best tracking skills – their strong sense of smell is sued by law enforcement during search and rescue missions. These dogs can track people who are far away and helps the police in crime investigations.
- They naturally drool; thus, you should learn how to control their behavior.
- They tend to slob due to the high amount of saliva in their mouth
- They show a low level of energy, especially with their slow movement
- They shed a lot, the undercoat twice a year, and the hair throughout.
- Bloodhounds need much care, especially for grooming, training, and exercises.
Do you find Bloodhound your perfect pet? If yes, scroll through the ads for Bloodhound puppies for sale and select your favorite.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can Bloodhounds Become Good Guards
No, Bloodhounds can't become the bests guards since they are very friendly with people ekes strangers. Even though they have excellent tracking and sensing ability, they don't alert their owners in case of strangers in the compound.
2. What are the Routine Care Tips for Bloodhounds?
- Keep your dog or puppy active since they have a lot of energy
- Always check out the wrinkles and eyes often; dirt may accumulate and lead to infections
- Ensure you exercise regularly but don't overdo it.
- Brush the dog's teeth at least twice a week.
- Ensure your dog is on a leash while walking since it can run off to follow the scent.
- Always have regular veterinary checkups for the dog since it's very prone to infections.
3. Will Bloodhound Protect My Family?
This breed isn’t very protective and thus may not make the best watchdog. They are very friendly even to strangers; some may not even bark when someone enters your compound. Therefore, Bloodhounds aren't reliable watchdogs.
4. How Powerful is the Bloodhound Sense of Smell?
Bloodhounds have the strongest sense of smell when compared to other breeds. These dogs help in crime scenes and in finding lost persons and pets. Another breed with a strong sense of smell is the English Springer Spaniel; it detects explosives, human remains, and fake money.
5. How Long Do Bloodhounds Live?
Bloodhounds have a lifespan of 10-12 years. Their lifespan is on the average level of how most breeds live.
Bloodhound dogs are large and recognized for their powerful sense of smell and tracking ability. They may not be the best watchdog option for your home, but they are great companions for your family.
Bloodhounds require an average caring level with more attention to their health and grooming. It's best to keep them clean and watch for the above health issues. If you want a loyal and friendly pet, check out, Bloodhound for sale near me ads at the top of this page.