Labrador Retriever for Sale
No results for your search.
About Labrador Retriever
Labrador Retriever is a loving, sociable, and calm temperament dog. These canines are kind, loyal, intelligent, and quick to learn. The owners of this pet enjoy their companionship and ability in shows, therapy, and as service dogs. In short, Labrador Retriever is an all-around pet suitable for all families.
Due to their activeness in the field, they possess a water-repellant coat, high energy, and webbed feet. These dogs can survive cold climates as their coat acts as insulation. If you want to own this lovely breed, peruse the above ads for Labrador Retriever puppies for sale near me or Labrador Retriever pups for sale near me.
The Origin and History of Labrador Retriever
Labrador Retrievers were developed in the 1800s by English aristocrats. These people were interested in shooting gamebirds and wanted a dog that could help. Labradors assisted in fetching dead and wounded games for their masters. Many Labradors still help in the hunting role today. Labrador Retriever was and is still a working dog.
Labrador Retrievers were noticed in Newfoundland though there is scanty information about them. With time these dogs spread across Europe and US. Labrador Retrievers were called St John's dogs, Little Newfoundler, lesser Newfoundland, and blackwater dogs. Labrador Retriever is a unique and top-popular breed in the US.
Facts About Labrador Retriever
Lab, yellow lab, chocolate lab, Labrador, black lab
Height of 22-24 inches and weight 55-80 pounds
Playful, outgoing, hardworking, dependable, protective, loyal, good hiking companion, likes water, tendency to chew, energetic, vocal, friendly to other pets, sweet-natured
Coat length & color
Medium and short hair. The coat has liver, gold, yellow, brown, and black colors.
Swimming, running, playing fetch games, hiking
Service dog, show dog, search and rescue, drug and explosive detection, field tests, hunting
Labrador Retriever Price
Labrador Retriever price for an adult dog is $800 -$5000
Labrador Retriever adoption fee $400-$800
Labrador Retriever puppies price $700-$1500; price can go higher up to $4000
The above traits portray an outgoing breed with high adaptability. If you wish to acquire a different species with a loving personality, like Labrador Retrievers, check out German Shepherds and Poodles.
Physical Features of Labrador Retriever
- Ears – ears are long, and they hang to the face
- Eyes – brown
- This canine has a broad head, gentle eyes, and a wagging, thick tail
- Nose – some have black and others brown in color
- They have short and thick coats that shed moderately. The coats are ice and water-repellant. The top coat acts as a wetsuit, and traps heat to keep Labrador Retriever warm.
- Common coat colors recognized for this breed are brown, black, and yellow.
- Webbed feet
Which are the Different Types of Labrador Retrievers?
Labrador Retrievers are famous dogs, and people like them for their loyal, friendly, and working nature. Labradors can be grouped in terms of colors leading to different traits of the individuals. Though there are three standard colors of this dog, it appears in five different colors:
- Black Labradors – it's the typical color and best for hunting. They are also diligent and hardworking dogs.
- Chocolate Labrador – it’s the rarest dog used for hunting and excels in show events. This dog is unruly; it's hard to train and thus can't be used as a service dog.
- Yellow Labrador – are the most preferred breed. These dogs are adorable and have a loving personality. Like Black dogs, they are trainable, affectionate, and hardworking. It can be used for hunting, service, and therapy dogs.
- Silver Labrador – it’s a rare breed that people mistake for Weimaraner They have similar traits to the standard Labrador, being social, affectionate, and intelligent.
- Fox Red Labrador - has a rusty red appearance that makes them look like foxes. Most dog lovers adore this fox breed for its warm personality.
The above are the various types of Labrador Retrievers that you can consider regarding colors. The best and highly preferred ones are the black, yellow, and Fox Red Labrador. Own your pet today by viewing the ads posted at the top of this page for Fox red Labrador Retrievers for sale or Black Labrador Retriever puppies for sale near me.
Caring Tips for Labrador Retrievers
Exercise and Training Needs
Labrador Retrievers are energetic dogs and require plenty of exercise. Aim to keep your dog fit and prevent obesity. Also, avoid exercising in hot weather, which can result in overheating issues. This dog will enjoy running, swimming, fetch games, treks, and hiking.
You will enjoy training Labrador Retriever because it's quick to learn. It will excel in advanced tricks, sport and service dog training, and basic training. So, understand your dog’s personality and handle it carefully during the sessions.
Grooming Care for Labrador Retrievers
- Coat – brush the hair daily to reduce the amount being shed and scattered in the house
- Nails – trim the nails frequently to prevent cracking or splitting
- Ears – wipe ears regularly to prevent dirt accumulation, foul odor, and wetness
- Teeth – clean the teeth once a week for good oral hygiene
Common Heath Problems
The specific illness that affects Labrador Retrievers include:
- Atopic dermatitis
- Ear infections
- Carpal ligaments weakness and injury
- Hip and elbow dysplasia
Labrador Retrievers dwell on high-quality feeds for an energetic dog. Consider your dog's age when selecting foods suitable for its life stage. Due to their activeness, these pups will need food with high protein.
If your puppy has digestive system issues, select grain-free food or L- Carnitine to boost their metabolism. Also, remember to consult your veterinarian in case of other digestive problems. Limit the treats you give your Labrador Retriever to monitor their weight.
Pros and Cons of Labrador Retrievers
- Gentle with pets
- It’s a cheerful breed
- Less aggressive and relates well with everyone
- Responds positively to training
- These dogs are patient
- Sheds a lot
- Has lots of energy and are jumpy when young
- Requires plenty of exercises to keep fit
- Susceptible to severe health issues
Labrador Retriever Frequently Asked Questions
1. How Sociable are Labrador Retrievers?
Labrador Retrievers are very friendly and happy with everyone. This breed will bark at someone who comes near the door; thus, they are protective. But for all family, friends, and familiar people, this dog welcomes them warmly.
2. Are Labrador Retriever Dogs Aggressive?
No, these dogs are very calm and known for being patient. They relate well with every person they meet and are good to other dogs. Another peaceful and friendly dog, like Labrador Retrievers, is Boerboel; consider it.
3. Who is Suitable for Labrador Retrievers?
Labradors are very energetic and destructive when young. They shed a lot of hair and tend to roll on mud. These canines are also affectionate and don’t like being alone. Therefore, keeping a Labrador entails a lot of work, especially when young and full-time attention. Thus, Labrador needs someone available and patient. If you are busy, employ a helper.
4. What are the Unique Colors of Labrador Retrievers?
These beautiful and good-natured dogs Labrador Retrievers have black, yellow, brown, and black coats. You can acquire any Labrador Retriever as long it meets your expectations. Don’t hesitate to view the Labrador Retrievers for sale near me ads posted above and select your preferred type.
5. Which Breeds Are Similar to Labrador Retrievers?
- Flat-coated Retriever – requires more activities to remain fit and healthy, more reserved to strangers.
- Golden Retriever – it’s a good family dog and has great personal traits
- Springador – looks like black Labradors. They are a mix of Springer Spaniel and Labrador
To Wrap Up
You can never go wrong by acquiring Labrador Retriever as your pet. There are varieties of Labradors to choose from based on color and personality. It’s best to study the specific breed traits instead of relying on the color.
The common Labradors, like the black and yellow types, have the best personality. You choose any kind that you can easily maintain. Consider applying the above caring techniques to meet your dog’s living needs.
Additionally, check Labrador Retriever Breeders near me on our site and view the ads for White Labrador Retrievers for sale or Labrador Retriever puppies for sale in pa if you want a younger dog.