American Water Spaniel for Sale
No results for your search.
About American Water Spaniel
American Water Spaniel is a medium-sized dog with a short curly coat. This breed is unique and skilled in water retrieval techniques. It's very muscular with a balanced body and water-repellent coat to survive in marshy areas. The skin features and webbed toes help the dog easily maneuver ice waters. American Water Spaniel is an active dog and enjoys being with its family.
Read more on how to care for an American Water Spaniel and where to get American Water Spaniel dogs for sale.
The Origin of American Water Spaniel
This breed was developed in the United States in the early 18th century. People used it as a hunting companion for rabbits and waterfowl. This dog has the confidence and energy for hunting and tracking tasks. People love the American Water Spaniel due to her ability to flush out birds and retrieval techniques in marshy areas.
Learn more about training your dog retrieval skills.
American Water Spaniel Species Overview
Short form of American water spaniel, AWS
Black, brown, red, and sable; some have white markings on the chest and toes
Height of 15-18 inches, weight 25-35 lbs (females) and 30-45 lbs (males).
Lively, alert, friendly, and obedient
Likes swimming, hunting, hiking, and retrieval games
Endurance, friendly, agile, and strong scent abilities
Responds well to training, intelligent
What are the Physical Characteristics of the American Water Spaniel
- Head – it’s proportionate to its body size and has a broad skull. It also has a standard muzzle tapering to the nose and strong jaws.
- Eyes – are moderate size, slightly oval-shaped, and dark brown.
- Ears – typical size and hang close to its head
- Coat – it's two-layered with a dense protective undercoat. The upper skin is wavy and water-resistant.
- Tail – the tail is a bit high and has tapered to a fine point
What’s the Temperament and Personality of American Water Spaniel?
- Versatile – American Water Spaniel dog that can handle various roles such as hunting and retrieval games on land or in water. It can survive in challenging terrains and harsh weather conditions.
- Affectionate – American Water Spaniel forms strong bonds with their families and is very gentle with kids.
- Intelligent – it's quick to learn and can excel in various activities
- Alert and protective – this dog can sense threats or strangers and protect their families
- Excellent swimmers – this breed is skilled in swimming and well adapted with webbed feet and a water-resistant coat
Do you like the appearance and the personality of this dog, view the ads for American Water Spaniel puppies for sale near me at the top of this page and buy one.
Caring for American Water Spaniel
American Water Spaniel is an active, lovely dog that requires proper care to be a good companion. The caring practices include the following:
Diet and Nutrition
American water spaniel has a petite body and requires less food. Ensure the food has a balanced diet with proteins and fats. The amount you give your dog should vary on the activities, size, and age. For an adult dog, ensure you feed the dog 3 cups of food in 3 daily portions.
The diet should be as follows:
- Protein – the protein content should be 15-18% for adults and 22% for American Water Spaniel puppies. Protein is the main constituent of the dog's food. Other sources of protein that you can consider include broccoli, lentils, and beans.
- Fats – this dog’s diet should have around 5% fat in adults and 8% in puppies. Fat is a source of energy and makes the dog's food tastier.
- Supplements – Supplying your dog with supplements is unnecessary if the diet is appropriate. Too much consumption of supplements is fatal; thus, it’s best to be careful. Some examples of these supplements include wild fur skin and coat and pet's ability joint supplements.
Ensure your dog’s diet is free from grapes, avocados, grapes, raisins, chocolates, coffee, and ham. Are you searching for American Water Spaniel puppies for sale? Browse the ads at the top of this page and get one from American Water Spaniel breeders. You can still check out American Bulldog offers.
American Water Spaniel requires regular exercise to remain physically and mentally active. You can engage your dog in jogging, walks, swimming, and retrieval games. These activities will help the dog utilize instincts like scent and hunting. Keeping your dog physically active will prevent restlessness and destructive behavior.
American Water Spaniel is an intelligent dog thus, it's easy to train. You need to be first with clear instructions when training the dog. It's also best when you have previous experience in dog training, as sometimes this breed can be stubborn.
The double coat layer with curled fur requires regular maintenance and cleaning. You should brush the hair at lead twice weekly to prevent it from tangling. Also, bathe this dog when necessary and introduce the puppies to showering.
Check their ears regularly and clean them with an ear cleanser for dogs. You should also trim the claws to ensure the dog walks comfortably. Use a toothbrush and toothpaste to clean the dog and train it while still a puppy for dental hygiene.
American Water Spaniel is susceptible to several health concerns you must consider.
- Cataracts – a cloudy spot forms in the eye and can lead to blindness
- Hypothyroidism – the dog’s thyroid fails to make thyroxin, and this leads to a hormone condition
- Ear infections – it’s best to maintain your dog’s hygiene to prevent infections. This breed is prone to ear infections since it has floppy ears.
- Epilepsy – a neurological disorder that features recurrent seizures.
Which Breeds Are Similar to American Water Spaniels?
Five breeds are similar to American water spaniels, and they include:
- Boykin spaniel has an average body and possesses hunting and retrieval skills. It has floppy ears and a medium-length curly coat.
- Irish water spaniel – its coat is a bit different, but it's curly and water resistant. It has excellent retrieval and swimming skills.
- Chesapeake Bay retriever has the same physical features as the American Water Spaniel but is a bit larger.
- Curly coated retrieval has a distinct curly coat with crispy curls all over the body. The other features, like coat colors, are similar to American water spaniels.
Learn more about Boykin Spaniel from this article.
What's the American Water Spaniel Price?
An American Water Spaniel puppy price is between $1200 to $1500. However, an American Water Spaniel price ranges between $1500 to $2500 and beyond. The price of a dog depends on the location, age, breeder, pedigree, and training.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How Much Exercise Do American Water Spaniels Need?
American Water Spaniels are an active breed that must exercise regularly to remain healthy and active. Ensure you involve your dog in walks, runs, retrieval, and swimming activities. Keeping your dog active ensure the dog remains behaved.
Are you searching for an American Water Spaniel for sale? It's best to view reputable American Water Spaniel breeders on top of this page.
2. Do American Water Spaniels Shed A Lot?
American Water Spaniel has a double coat that is dense and water-resistant. This coat doesn't shed much; thus, it's a moderate shedder. It’s best to brush the dog to prevent hair loss regularly
Regular brushing can help control loose hair and keep their coat in good condition. The shedding is generally manageable with routine grooming.
3. Is American Water Spaniel Good with Kids?
American Water Spaniels are smart, obedient, and affectionate with family members, including kids. However, they have high energy and may need supervision around children.
4. Can You Leave this American Water Spaniel Alone at Home?
American water spaniels are very friendly and require human interaction. When well-trained, it's very social with family members and other dogs but doesn't do well alone.
5. Can I Get America Water Spaniel for Sale Near Me?
Yes, you can find American Water Spaniel puppies for sale in any state. Browse through the ads and search for your pet by state. If you can't find an American Water Spaniel breed, search for related species, such as the Irish Water Spaniel.
American Water Spaniel is a wonderful dog that is playful, intelligent, and very social with family. This dog is very energetic and requires daily exercises such as walks and outdoor games. You should also lead the dog in enforcing rules while it's still young to avoid destructive behaviors. Finally, remember to stimulate its natural instincts through tracking and retrieval games.