Barbet for Sale
No results for your search.
Barbet is a smart, fun-loving dog, also known as a French water dog. It was recently recognized by the American kennel club. The breed has a rectangular body with curly hair and beards. It comes in many colors, such as brown, black, or gray.
Do you want to add a Barbet to your family; we have several Barbet puppies for sale near me. Explore the list above for the best offers and learn about the breed features, origin, and how to take care of it. If you have time, love, and patience, it's possible to have Barbet as your friend.
This breed hails from France and is mainly recognized for its smile and beard. This canine got its name from France, where locals used to call it a beard barber. It’s a water dog that’s helped in hunting waterfowl. It's well adapted to marshy environments, with water-resistant fur, and webbed feet.
Barbet Species Overview
French water dog
Males 23-25 inches and females 21-24 inches
Red, silver, white, gray, brown, solid black
The appearance of the coat
Curly or wavy fur
Intelligent, obedient, calm, loyal, joyful
Swimming, fetching, nature walks, dog sports
Which are the Barbet’s Physical Features?
- Size – Barbet has a small to medium body size from 53– 63 cm. The male Barbets are large, 53- 64 cm, while females are a little smaller, with a height of 48-58 cm.
- Build – a well-built masculine body with a broad chest and a straight back.
- Coat – thick, curly, and waterproof for hunting in water. The coat may also be woolly or have a wavier texture. The hair is long and can even cover the eyes if not maintained.
- Colors – Barbet occurs in black, brown, gray, and white colors.
- Head – the head is rounded with a long muzzle. The ears hang around the cheeks while the eyes are set at the same level. Eyes can be covered with hair if it gets long. The nose is brown or black.
- The tail is a long, thick tail with curly hair all around.
- Feet – as a swimming dog, the feet are well adapted to the water environment and webbed for easy navigation.
Check out facts on Beabull, a medium-sized dog with short hair.
How is Barbet’s Temperament?
A Barbet is a friendly dog and becomes a play partner for your kids. Barbets enjoy hunting and playing chase to utilize their energy. So, if you are active, Barbet will like hanging around you.
On the negative behaviors, this canine likes barking and digging when bored. To control this behavior, ensure you do have an exercise routine. The exercises must also be varied to avoid monotony and offer mental stimulation.
The following are the personal traits of this breed;
Find out more details about Poodle in this article.
How Do You Care for Your Barbet?
Barbet enjoys commercial or fresh meal that is highly protein-rich for their energy. Choose commercial feeds with meat as the main ingredient. Give your dog the appropriate feed portions according to age, size, and activity level.
If you don’t have commercial feeds, consider the following food sources:
- Proteins – foods with high-quality animal protein such as chicken, fish, or beef. Protein helps your dog for muscle mass and general health.
- Fruits and vegetables – provide vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Give your dog safe fruits such as carrots, sweet potatoes, and green beans.
NB: Avoid harmful foods to your dog, such as grapes, caffeine, alcohol, garlic, grapes, onions, garlic, and caffeine. Read the effects of alcohol on dogs.
Barbet has unique long hair that requires regular maintenance to remain neat. Sometimes the hair can get long and even cover its eyes. This dog mostly spends time outdoors; thus, it will carry debris on its fur.
Ensure you take care of the coat to remove the attached materials. Always clean it daily to loosen the hair and remove the dirt.
Cleaning is also made easy since the dog hardly sheds its hair. Nevertheless, the coat grows fast; you should trim it around 5 inches every few weeks.
Brush your Barbet's teeth regularly using a dog-specific toothbrush and toothpaste to maintain good oral hygiene. Dental treats or toys designed to promote dental health can also be beneficial.
The best skills to instill in your dog when young are obedience and socialization. Be firm while still friendly to your dog when training it. Rewards are necessary to create a good rapport and promote good behavior. Start with the basic command like "come" and "stop" as you progress to advanced ones.
Train your Barbet puppy to relate with various animals and people. You should expose it to different sounds, environments, and experiences to develop confidence and good habits.
Barbets are active dogs, and it's best to engage them in various activities continually. Ensure your dog has at least one hour of physical activities such as jogging, swimming, or playing fetch games in an enclosed area.
Keep your dog healthy by following the proper diet and having regular health checkups. Provide vaccinations against parasites and infectious diseases like rabies.
Some of the diseases that you should watch out for in Barbets include:
- Eye disorders such as cataracts, entropion, cataracts
- Ear infections
- Hip dysplasia
What’s Barbet Puppy Price?
Barbet is a rare breed with unique features and abilities. If you need Barbet puppies for sale near me, look for a reputable breeder from this site. We have the best offers in all the states in the US.
Barbet price range from $2500 to $4000 or more based on the breed lines for a puppy. But it's a bit cheaper to adopt a puppy for as little as $300. The cost of a mature Barbet is more than $4000 depending on the level of training and the acquired skills.
If Barbet is a bit costly, Portuguese Water has almost the same features as Barbet. Consider it as an option.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are Some Fun Facts About Barbet?
- Water retriever – Barbets like water activities especially swimming. Their coat and feet make them suitable for the wet environment.
- Unique coat – their coat has curly hair that grows very fast. This dense coat protects them from harsh weather and offers buoyancy when swimming. Grooming is the tasking care for this dog since the coat easily gets debris.
- Rare breed – it's a bit tricky to get Barbets, unlike other dogs, which affects its price.
2. What are the Common Names for Barbet?
- Mud name
3. Which Breeds Are Similar to Barbet?
The following dogs have the same features as Barbets and are mostly water retrievers.
- Portuguese water dog – enjoys being in the water, just like the Barbets. Its coat is curly.
- Poodle - Poodles come in three size varieties (Standard, Miniature, and Toy. They have a curly coat and enjoy water sports activities.
- Lagotto Romagnolo – it originates in Italy and has a water-resistant coat. Its shares some traits with Barbets, such as coat texture and intelligence.
4. What's the Family name Barbet?
Barbet belongs to the Canidae family, which includes animals such as wolves, foxes, and coyotes. The Canidae family is a diverse group of mammals known for their carnivorous diet and social behavior. As a domesticated dog, Barbet belongs to the gray wolf (Canis lupus) subspecies.
To Sum Up
Barbets are intelligent, trainable, and versatile dogs. They have a friendly and gentle nature, making them great family companions. Their love for water and swimming is evident, as they have webbed feet and a natural affinity for aquatic activities.
With regular exercise, positive training, and proper healthcare, Barbets will thrive and make the best family pets. You can view several images of Barbet puppy for sale on this page.