Border Terrier for Sale
No results for your search.
About Border Terrier
Border Terrier is a small-sized dog that is intelligent and fearless. This dog is energetic and versatile, and its personality is on another level. If you have always longed for a small manageable dog yet affectionate, loyal, and social, you can’t go wrong with Border Terrier.
It's easy to train and grasp the best behaviors that you desire. You will enjoy playing around your pet and engaging it in activities such as playing fetch, walks, and running around the yard.
Stick to this article to learn more facts about caring for this breed. Again, view the ads above for Border Terrier for sale offers.
Where Did Border Terrier Originate from?
Border Terrier hails from the border point between England and Scotland. This dog was bred to hunt foxes and other wild animals. Farmers, shepherds, and gamekeepers developed Border Terrier to help them chase and kill the foxes, a major threat to the livestock, especially sheep.
This breed's agility and ability to go to the ground made it suitable for flushing out foxes from their hideouts. The border terrier was developed in 1920 and acknowledged by the American Kennel Club in 1930.
If you are interested in other Terrier breeds, check out Airedale Terrier.
General Overview of Border Terrier
A petite body of 10-11 inches
High-energy level dogs
An average of 4-5 puppies
Tendency to drool
12 to 15 years
Intelligent, loyal, playful, active, affectionate, needs attention
Running, playing fetch games, hikes
Do you like the general features of Border Terrier? View Border Terrier for sale offers at your nearest state.
The Appearance of Border Terrier
The following are the physical features of a Border Terrier:
- Body: Border Terrier has a compact and well-balanced body. It’s a bit longer with a straight back and a broad chest. Border Terrier presents a streamlined body for athleticism.
- Head: The dog has a proportionate head to its body and a broad skull. It has a strong muzzle and medium-sized eyes. Border Terrier has unique ears that are V-shaped, small, and set high on the head. Sometimes the ears droop to the face.
- Tail: It has a thick short tail that tapers to a rounded point.
- Coat: Border Terrier has a beautiful coat with distinct features; dense, weather resistant, and double-layered. The coat is highly adapted for insulation. The undercoat is soft and thick to offer insulation, while the outer is coarse and thick for protection against harsh elements. The coat appears in several colors, such as blue, tan, grizzle, and red.
That's the highlight of the Border Terrier's appearance; you can compare it with Black Russian Terrier in our blog.
The Personality of Border Terrier
Border Terriers are known for their friendly, playful, and loyal personality. They are also intelligent; thus easy to train them. This breed makes excellent family pets since they are good with children and other pets.
Here are some of the key traits of the Border Terrier temperament:
- Loyal and affectionate: They like being around you and get along well with children and pets.
- Active: Border Terriers need regular exercise to remain healthy and happy.
- Playful: Border Terriers are very playful dogs. They like to play fetch, walk, and run in the yard. They also do well in games like tug-of-war and hide-and-seek.
- Intelligent: Border Terriers are brilliant dogs. They grasp commands at ease and are best at problem-solving.
If you are looking for such a loyal, calm, and affectionate dog, Border Terrier is the perfect breed for you. Scan through the ads for Border Terrier puppies for sale near me; you will get offers in your state.
Care for Border Terriers
Love and Attention
Border Terrier is a friendly dog that enjoys being around its owner. It longs for your love and attention, which plays a part in creating a strong bond. Thus, ensure you offer that affection to your dog and involve it in all family activities. Plan for a moment. You can play together or even compete in some fetch games.
Border Terrier is an active breed that needs regular exercise. Ensure you take your dog for walks, play sessions, and interactive games that will meet their exercise needs.
Border Terrier's double-layered coat requires grooming to keep it in good condition. Brush the dog’s coat several times a week to remove loose hair and prevent matting. We also recommend hand-stripping, a technique for removing dead hair, at least a few times a year. Additionally, clean their teeth for good oral hygiene, trim their nails, and clean their ears always.
Early and ongoing training is crucial for a Border Terrier. They are smart dogs that respond well to positive training techniques. Basic obedience training and socialization from a young age help them become well-behaved and adaptable companions. Introducing your dog to new environments, people, and animals is also essential to ensure they are comfortable and well-adjusted.
Give your pet a proper and nutritious meal. Choose a high-quality dog food that meets its specific life stage and activity level. Its food should be high in protein, low in fat, and plenty of minerals and vitamins. You can buy commercial feeds formulated for small dogs, use raw food, or be precooked with the above ingredients.
Border Terriers are prone to a few health problems that include:
- Eye problems: Border Terriers are prone to several eye problems such as glaucoma, retinal dysplasia, and cataracts
- Hip dysplasia: This condition affects the hip joint in dogs and causes pain and lameness.
- Allergies: Border Terriers can be prone to allergies, which can cause skin problems, respiratory problems, and digestive problems.
- Patella luxation – its kneecap dislocation, which also occurs in other dogs like Chihuahuas
Best Nicknames to Choose for Your Border Terrier
Border Terriers are playful, loyal, and friendly dogs. While choosing a name, ensure it reflects their positive qualities. When you succeed in searching for a Border Terrier puppy for sale, here are some unique names to give the little pet.
Border Terrier Puppies Names
For male puppies:
You can also consider naming your dog after the breed's history or appearance. For instance, if the dog has a lot of whiskers, you may call it "whiskers."
Which are the Pros and Cons of Border Terrier?
- It needs low maintenance
- Intelligent and easy to train
- Friendly with pets and children
- It’s very loyal
- Requires regular grooming
- It's prone to certain health conditions
- Can be stubborn
What is the Price of a Border Terrier?
A Border Terrier puppy ranges from $ 700 to $ 1500. Some puppies are more expensive than $1500, while others are cheap. The price varies with the dog's age, breed quality, and bloodline. Adoption fees for Border Terriers are low, with a range of $ 200- $ 500. Border Terrier price for a mature dog is a bit cheap than other breeds and it varies on location and the pedigree.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do Border Terriers Bark A lot?
Border Terriers have moderate braking behavior. These dogs only bark when necessary, especially when protecting their owners. You will find your dog barking when communicating its needs, alerting you of visitors, or expressing excitement.
2. Is Border Terrier Suitable for Apartment Living?
Yes, this dog is the best family pet to live in an apartment. Despite their energy level, they have a small body, making them manageable in a smaller space. However, you must provide adequate mental and physical exercises for their health.
3. Is Border Terrier a Good Family Pet?
Border Terrier can make the best family pets for a good household. Due to their friendly and loyal nature, they enjoy being around their family and sharing good moments. Therefore, own a puppy today by viewing Border Terrier for sale images here.
4. Where Can I Get Border Terrier Pups for Sale?
We have Border Terrier pups for sale in all the states in the United States. Search for Border Terrier puppies for sale by state and find your nearest location.
To Wrap Up
Border Terrier is a great family pet. It gets along well with family members and other pets. They like spending moments with their owners and enjoy exercises such as hiking, fetch games, and running.
If you love dogs and are willing to show affection to them and tend to their needs, go for Border Terrier. Ensure you get the best breed from our site by looking at the Border Terrier puppy for sale ads.