American Leopard Hound for Sale
No results for your search.
About American Leopard Hound
The American Leopard Hound is famous for its hunting abilities and appealing coat pattern. It’s an energetic dog that loves the outdoor environment. This breed is medium size and socializes with other dogs, children, and family members.
This dog is also referred to as leopard cur. If you need a pretty dog with nine different colors and markings, go for an American Leopard Hound. View all the American Leopard Hound puppies for sale near me in the ads posted above.
Let's explore how to care for American Leopard Hound, its traits, and its physical features.
American Leopard Hound Description
It originated in the United States. This dog is a crossbreed of different cur-type dogs.
A medium-sized dog with well-built muscles, medium-length coat with different coats and colors and patterns, coats with solid markings
Athletic, intelligent, keen hunting instincts, energetic dog that needs exercises and mental stimulation, loyal, and socializes well with families.
Highly skilled in hunting, it's best in tracking, treeing, and training game. It also has a strong smell, agility, and endurance.
Five to eight puppies
Yellow, blue, black, tan, and brindle
American Leopard Hound lifespan
Luna, Cooper, Hunter, Sadie, Duke, Beau, Lily, Bailey
What are the Physical Features of the American Leopard Hound?
The American Leopard Hound dog has notable characteristics that make it unique. The following are the physical features of this breed:
- Size - American Leopard hounds are medium-sized dogs. The males are a bit larger, with 20 to 24 inches (51 to 61 cm), while females are slightly smaller, from 18 to 22 inches (46 to 56 cm) in height.
- Body – American Leopard Hound has a muscular body structure and is streamlined. It also has a broad chest for more lung capacity and offers endurance when exercising.
- Coat – a medium-length dense coat to make the dog adapt to the outdoor weather. The skin has a leopard spot pattern, and the spots vary in size.
- Head – it’s broadly and slightly domed. The muzzle is also well-developed and tapers towards the nose. Its nose is black or liver-colored, depending on the coat color.
- Ears and eyes – eyes are round and express alertness and intelligence. The breed has several eye colors, but the common ones are amber and brown. The ears are pendant shaped and usually hang toward the head.
- Tail – it has a long tail that curves naturally downward
Compare the American Leopard Hound with the American English Coonhound.
Which Breeds Are Similar to American Leopard Hounds?
1. Treeing Tennessee Brindle
This breed shares some similarities with the American Leopard Hound regarding appearance and purpose. Treeing Tennessee brindle has medium-sized and is best in treeing and hunting abilities. The only difference the treeing Tennessee has is the lack of leopard spots.
2. Coonhound Breeds
These coonhound breeds, such as the Black and Tan Coonhound, Bluetick Coonhound, and Redbone Coonhound, have hunting abilities and are medium-sized. They also have a common purpose of tracking and treeing. However, they have distinct coat patterns from the leopard-spotted ones.
For more details, you can check out the Black and Tan coonhound breeds in our article.
Caring for American Leopard Hound
Caring for an American Leopard Hound involves meeting their nutrition, health, exercise, training, and grooming needs. Here are some key aspects to consider:
- Nutrition - ensure your American Leopard Hound gets a balanced and nutritious diet depending on the size and activity level. This dog will need three cups of high-quality food daily to satisfy its energy levels. But remember, you should monitor its calorie intake to prevent obesity.
- Health – always schedule regular check-ups for your dog for overall health. Remember to vaccinate your dog for parasites such as fleas, ticks, and heartworms. These routine health screenings will prevent illnesses and keep your dog healthy. Be attentive to health conditions that affect this breed, such as Cryptorchidism, deafness, blindness, and hip dysplasia. Additionally, provide dental care, such as regular teeth brushing, to maintain good oral hygiene.
- Exercise – active dogs that require regular exercise to stimulate them physically and mentally. Ensure your dog exercises, runs, and goes walk long walks. Also, provide opportunities for mental stimulation, such as interactive games. Engage them in activities that improve their scent instincts.
- Training – this dog is intelligent and energetic, and its training experience is rewarding. Ensure you are consistent and give attentive care. Focus on the basic commands such as leash manner and positive reinforcement. Don’t punish your dog harshly during training.
- Grooming – they have fewer grooming needs since the coat has medium length. Clean the skin regularly to maintain and remove loose hair. You can also bathe them when necessary but don’t overdo it.
Should You Own American Leopard Hound?
If you are searching for an American Leopard Hound dog for sale, it's best to have a hint of what to expect. Below is a summary of the breed's pros and cons:
Pros of American Leopard Hound
- It’s skilled in hunting with a strong sense of smell, tracking, and treeing abilities.
- It’s an intelligent dog and responsive to proper training techniques
- American Leopard hounds can participate in various activities since it's versatile. For instance, it can hunt, track, and also become a loyal and protective pet
- This dog has high stamina to handle demanding tasks and exercises
Cons of American Leopard Hound
- Has high energy and exercise needs to maintain its physical and mental wellbeing
- High prey drive and thus possess a challenge at home with other smaller pets
- It's an independent dog, and this can be a challenge when training them
- This breed is very rare; you need to put some effort into finding a reputable breeder
Don’t give up on owning American Leopard Hound because it's rare; we will sort you. This page lists the best breeders in your state; browse through the ads at the top of the page for American Leopard Hound for sale and get an offer.
If you have second thoughts on this breed, you can check similar ones such as bluetick coonhound.
What is the Cost of Raising an American Leopard Hound?
When looking for an American Leopard Hound dog for sale, consider the buying and training costs:
- Purchase Price – an American Leopard Hound price is between $500 to $1500 or more.
- Spaying or Neutering – spaying means sterilizing a female animal if you don't want young ones. You can learn more about spaying dogs and the different methods used in this article. So buying a puppy that hasn't been spayed and requires the service can cost around $200 to $500.
- Feeding – giving healthy and quality feeds for your dog is key. Feeding costs for the food and treats can be costly or cheaper depending on the brand, quality, and feeding portions. You can spend around $60 to $ 100 monthly on this.
- Supplies - this dog will need a collar, leash, food, water bowls, bedding, toys, and a crate. The cost of these supplies will depend on the brand and quality you choose.
- Other expenses you will incur when owning an American Leopard Hound include licensing fees, pet insurance, microchipping, grooming tools, and occasional unforeseen veterinary costs.
If you like this article, you can check out another blog on Dorgi.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are American Leopard Hounds Known for?
These dogs have a great personality that most people like. They are the best hunting dogs with stamina and focus. Again, they have a strong scent to help them in hunting.
2. What are the Uses of American Leopard Hounds?
You can use these dogs for hunting and also as a watchdog. They are very protective of kids and thus will become the best family dog.
3. What is the other Name for American Leopard Hound?
This dog is called Leopard Cur or American Leopard Cur. The United Kennel Club gave it this name.
4. What are the Benefits of the American Leopard Hound?
- It's friendly with kids, which is a bonus for families
- They are very sharp and alert
- Best in ranches to protect your flock
- Require less grooming and other caring attention
5. Are American Hounds Aggressive?
These dogs aren’t aggressive with their family members. They are affectionate and protective in the case of strangers. Again if you take good care of your pet, it will remain calm, so ensure it eats well and is in good health.
The American Leopard Hound is a wonderful breed with beauty, intelligence, loyalty, and energy. It's an appealing breed you can keep at home if you can meet its needs.
However, its hunting ability, pet drive, and energy level require someone with experience in dog rearing and engaging in outdoor activities. You need to involve the dog physically and mentally to prevent the development of negative behaviors.
Therefore, preview the American Leopard Hound for sale near Me or the American Leopard Hound puppies for sale near me ads at the top of the page if you can cope with its personality.